Cross Processing
D.R.
2004-07-11 23:31:57 UTC
When I got married in '97, our photographer did some really cool
cross-processing. Photos looked very "fashion magazine" with intense colours and
saturation. A few months ago, I emailed and asked the guy what he did. He said
that he over-exposed Agfa 200 slide film, processed in C-41 without compensating
for the over-exposure, and printed the outside of the frame as well because of
the extra cool colours around the edge of the frame.

I was wondering if anyone here can shed more light on this subject and give me
any hints or tips. I am not sure what he meant by "Agfa 200 Slide Film", but
mentioned that some films have different characteristics when cross-process.

TIA
D.R.
D.R.
2004-07-11 23:47:59 UTC
Post by D.R.
When I got married in '97, our photographer did some really cool
cross-processing. Photos looked very "fashion magazine" with intense colours and
saturation. A few months ago, I emailed and asked the guy what he did. He said
that he over-exposed Agfa 200 slide film, processed in C-41 without compensating
for the over-exposure, and printed the outside of the frame as well because of
the extra cool colours around the edge of the frame.
I was wondering if anyone here can shed more light on this subject and give me
any hints or tips. I am not sure what he meant by "Agfa 200 Slide Film", but
mentioned that some films have different characteristics when cross-process.
TIA
D.R.
A sample of what I mean is:

D.R.
Travis Smith
2004-07-12 03:44:02 UTC
Agfa is a brand of film... 200 is the speed of the film, and slide film
means it gives you a positive image when processed in E6 chemistry. When
you process it in C-41 chemistry (which is normally used for negative
(print) film) it gives you those types of special effects.

Travis Smith
Post by D.R.
When I got married in '97, our photographer did some really cool
cross-processing. Photos looked very "fashion magazine" with intense colours and
saturation. A few months ago, I emailed and asked the guy what he did. He said
that he over-exposed Agfa 200 slide film, processed in C-41 without compensating
for the over-exposure, and printed the outside of the frame as well because of
the extra cool colours around the edge of the frame.
I was wondering if anyone here can shed more light on this subject and give me
any hints or tips. I am not sure what he meant by "Agfa 200 Slide Film", but
mentioned that some films have different characteristics when
cross-process.
Post by D.R.
TIA
D.R.
D.R.
2004-07-12 03:58:17 UTC
Post by Travis Smith
Agfa is a brand of film... 200 is the speed of the film, and slide film
means it gives you a positive image when processed in E6 chemistry. When
you process it in C-41 chemistry (which is normally used for negative
(print) film) it gives you those types of special effects.
Travis Smith
Hi Travis

Thanks for the reply. I pretty much gather that, but didn't know what series of
Agfaslide film people have success with. I presume that they have more than one
slide film. My local shops usually sell Kodak and Fuji, but would have to order
some Agfa in.

Some sites I have read say to over-expose by one stop, but others say 2 stops.
This would seem a big difference with slide film. I guess I can try for myself
and see what works. Wondering also what films people prefer when
cross-processing. I have seen some photoshop tutorials, but the digital version
doesn't quite do it for me.

Thanks.
D.R.
Post by D.R.
mentioned that some films have different characteristics when
cross-process.
Post by D.R.
TIA
D.R.
Travis Smith

D.R.
Travis Smith
2004-07-13 00:53:14 UTC
Well just got home from work and the only thing I saw was Agfa RSX II...
came in a 100 and 200 iso I think. Seems most likely that this is what
they used.

Travis
Post by D.R.
slide film. My local shops usually sell Kodak and Fuji, but would have
Post by Travis Smith
order
Post by D.R.
and see what works. Wondering also what films people prefer when
cross-processing. I have seen some photoshop tutorials, but the digital
version
Post by D.R.
doesn't quite do it for me.
Thanks.
D.R.
Post by D.R.
saturation. A few months ago, I emailed and asked the guy what he
did.
Post by Travis Smith
He
Post by D.R.
Post by Travis Smith
said
Post by D.R.
any hints or tips. I am not sure what he meant by "Agfa 200 Slide
Film",
Post by D.R.
Post by Travis Smith
but
Post by D.R.
mentioned that some films have different characteristics when
cross-process.
Post by D.R.
TIA
D.R.
D.R.
2004-07-13 05:22:24 UTC
Many thanks. :-)
Post by Travis Smith
I believe the AGFA slide film is called RSX, but I've never shot any of it
so I can't say for sure. I'll look at our stock when I go into work
today.
Post by Travis Smith
Travis
Post by Travis Smith
Post by D.R.
slide film. My local shops usually sell Kodak and Fuji, but would have
Post by Travis Smith
order
Post by D.R.
and see what works. Wondering also what films people prefer when
cross-processing. I have seen some photoshop tutorials, but the digital
version
Post by D.R.
doesn't quite do it for me.
Thanks.
D.R.
Post by D.R.
saturation. A few months ago, I emailed and asked the guy what he
did.
Post by Travis Smith
He
Post by D.R.
Post by Travis Smith
said
Post by D.R.
the extra cool colours around the edge of the frame.
I was wondering if anyone here can shed more light on this subject
and
Post by Travis Smith
Post by D.R.
Post by Travis Smith
give me
Post by D.R.
any hints or tips. I am not sure what he meant by "Agfa 200 Slide
Film",
Post by D.R.
Post by Travis Smith
but
Post by D.R.
mentioned that some films have different characteristics when
cross-process.
Post by D.R.
TIA
D.R.
Geir Friestad
2004-07-13 16:52:03 UTC
D.R. <***@NewZealand> wrote:

| Some sites I have read say to over-expose by one stop, but others say
| 2 stops. This would seem a big difference with slide film. I guess I
| can try for myself and see what works. Wondering also what films
| people prefer when cross-processing.

This page has samples of several different cross processed films.
Maybe you'll find it helpful:

http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/99/23/index3a_page4.html?tw=design

Personally I have good experience with shooting on Fuji Velvia and
pushing it 2 stops during development.
--
Geir Friestad || ***@portman.org || www.portman.org
"My readers are intelligent: I don't write for stupid people."
- Philip Pullman
D.R.
2004-07-14 04:54:39 UTC
Post by Geir Friestad

| Some sites I have read say to over-expose by one stop, but others say
| 2 stops. This would seem a big difference with slide film. I guess I
| can try for myself and see what works. Wondering also what films
| people prefer when cross-processing.
This page has samples of several different cross processed films.
http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/99/23/index3a_page4.html?tw=design
Personally I have good experience with shooting on Fuji Velvia and
pushing it 2 stops during development.
Many thanks for the reply. So pushing it 2 stops during development would be
similar to over-exposing 2 stops in the camera? I can never remember which is
which with pushing and pulling. Is there an easy way to remember? LOL.