another video of Michael Flasch's photos
philo
2009-10-10 19:57:25 UTC

Dave
2009-10-12 07:53:57 UTC
Post by philo
http://youtu.be/qxbVLcIXWVw
I clicked the HD button then went full screen. Surprisingly good
definition for a YouTube video. I confess to jumping forward when I
saw it lasted nearly 8 minutes.

His work is interesting with the geometrical shadow patterns on human
curves. Personally I'd prefer a slideshow with decent sized pictures.

Just my tuppence worth.

Best wishes, Dave.
<http://www.henniker.org.uk> 4000 photos especially
Edinburgh & Scotland. + 3D rendered art, old ads etc.
Délété david for email; watch the spam filters.
Charles E Hardwidge
2009-10-12 16:38:36 UTC
Post by Dave
His work is interesting with the geometrical shadow patterns on human
curves. Personally I'd prefer a slideshow with decent sized pictures.
Yup. Some site I regularly read has podcasts that run on forever. I've never
listed to a single one as the ego and backslapping gets in the way and life
is short.
Charles E Hardwidge
philo
2009-10-13 05:49:11 UTC
Post by Charles E Hardwidge
Post by Dave
His work is interesting with the geometrical shadow patterns on human
curves. Personally I'd prefer a slideshow with decent sized pictures.
Yup. Some site I regularly read has podcasts that run on forever. I've never
listed to a single one as the ego and backslapping gets in the way and life
is short.
Mike Flasch has never made a podcast

he does photography only
Charles E Hardwidge
2009-10-13 06:18:31 UTC
Post by philo
Post by Charles E Hardwidge
Post by Dave
His work is interesting with the geometrical shadow patterns on human
curves. Personally I'd prefer a slideshow with decent sized pictures.
Yup. Some site I regularly read has podcasts that run on forever. I've
never listed to a single one as the ego and backslapping gets in the way
and life is short.
Mike Flasch has never made a podcast
he does photography only
Never said he did. Just that if you're going to do a presentation it had
better be good for the medium you're using. It's got to be worth someone's
time.
Charles E Hardwidge
philo
2009-10-13 12:15:07 UTC
Post by Charles E Hardwidge
Post by philo
Post by Charles E Hardwidge
Post by Dave
His work is interesting with the geometrical shadow patterns on human
curves. Personally I'd prefer a slideshow with decent sized pictures.
Yup. Some site I regularly read has podcasts that run on forever. I've
never listed to a single one as the ego and backslapping gets in the way
and life is short.
Mike Flasch has never made a podcast
he does photography only
Never said he did. Just that if you're going to do a presentation it had
better be good for the medium you're using. It's got to be worth
someone's time.
Unfortunately for Mike...he's a full time photographer and makes very
little money at it...
so can no longer maintain or keep a website...

he needs to rely on his cousin to put his stuff on-line.

My wife runs a gallery(I help out).
Due to the way it's structured I'm glad to be associated with one of the
few galleries in town that operates financially in the black.

For me...after doing photography for 39 years...
her gallery was the only one that ever got me any sales.

A good friend of mine recently put some of his photography in...
his first show ever...and one was sold even prior to the show's opening
(Which is coming up this Fri.)

But Mike's stuff has not gotten any sales. Lots' of favorable
comments... no buyers.

He also has his stuff at another gallery in town (friends of ours)
and maybe once a year he'll actually get one decent sale...
but it's typically someone from out of town.

The people in my city may just plain be too conservative for nudity...
no matter how subtle or tasteful...
but there must be buyers out there somewhere
Charles E Hardwidge
2009-10-14 01:48:44 UTC
But Mike's stuff has not gotten any sales. Lots' of favorable comments...
no buyers.
He also has his stuff at another gallery in town (friends of ours)
and maybe once a year he'll actually get one decent sale...
but it's typically someone from out of town.
The people in my city may just plain be too conservative for nudity...
no matter how subtle or tasteful...
but there must be buyers out there somewhere
I'm scratching for something positive to say.

Okay, I can see there's a theme he's trying to develop and people are
obviously willing to help out. That's a good start but I'll suggest both the
photos and marketing can be better executed.

I see a use of geometry and silhouette in his work. I'd want to look at
something more intricate that flows. At the moment it's just to dramatic and
unbalanced which makes the images look damaged and ugly. The other thing is
the girls can look like blobs of dough or they're wilting.

Lacking an easily found and well branded online gallery and accompanying
narrative makes it kinda hard before we get going. Then there's questions
about how images are presented, the target market, and sealing the deal or
generating premium commissioned work.

There's a whole bunch of issues that go with videos. Are you talking about
the work, discussing the work, teaching, or trying to craft some sort of
teaser trailer or standalone experience? How do you grab someone's attention
and hold it? What about the pacing and music? Are you going for something
intellectual or more seductive? Do you want to make an impact or touch
someone's heart?
Charles E Hardwidge
philo
2009-10-14 22:22:34 UTC
Post by Charles E Hardwidge
[...]
OK thanks for the reply here.

Well the stuff on the video is Mike's older stuff...

as I mentioned it was all done by his cousin and Mike really did not
have any input...I think his cousin was simply looking for something to
do with his spare time.

Anyway Mike is now doing photo-montages and he's getting a lot of
positive comments.

My fiancé suggested to him that his prices are more than the market will
bear...so on this last go around he's made some smaller images...
his current exhibit consists of approx 11" X 14" with a price of $400
(framed of course)

Since he's at least got a name locally, he has been getting $800 and up
for his larger pieces...but of course at that price...not too many sales.

Recently the Gallery Grand did a fund raiser and we were pleased that 14
pieces of art sold that evening .

After the show we saw that all sales were of artwork framed well and
ready to go....and all the sales were of art $500 or less...
so we told Mike to keep it all under $500.

Mike, as is the case of most artists does not have good marketing
skills... but my fiancé has a sales background...we we are leaving the
talking to her.

Anyway...we figure other art markets such as Chicago, NY and Los Angeles
may very well be worht looking into.
Charles E Hardwidge
2009-10-15 03:50:48 UTC
Post by philo
[...]
Engineers can be perfectionist and bad at marketing as well.

A better focus on the product and marketing can help, along with management
and finance. It looks like you're getting a lock on that.

Better to start slowly and end well, eh? :-)
Charles E Hardwidge
philo
All I can say is one must simply keep trying!
Peter
2009-10-16 14:56:02 UTC
Post by Charles E Hardwidge
Engineers can be perfectionist and bad at marketing as well.
Witness Steve Jobs.
Peter
philo
2009-10-13 05:53:06 UTC
Post by Dave
Post by philo
http://youtu.be/qxbVLcIXWVw
I clicked the HD button then went full screen. Surprisingly good
definition for a YouTube video. I confess to jumping forward when I
saw it lasted nearly 8 minutes.
His work is interesting with the geometrical shadow patterns on human
curves. Personally I'd prefer a slideshow with decent sized pictures.
Just my tuppence worth.
Best wishes, Dave.
<http://www.henniker.org.uk> 4000 photos especially
Edinburgh & Scotland. + 3D rendered art, old ads etc.
Délété david for email; watch the spam filters.
Thanks for the feedback

the video was made by Mike's cousin and other than supplying the photos Mike
had no other input...

though he did give his cousin permission to make and publicize the video
it was just by a chance Google search that he even learned of it's existence

Now the real question is...

wonder if there are any galleries that would be interested in those
types of photos.

Last time I went to NY I was going to check it out for him...
but there must be 1000 galleries there and I had no idea where to start !
Peter
2009-10-16 15:26:57 UTC
Post by philo
Now the real question is...
wonder if there are any galleries that would be interested in those types
of photos.
Last time I went to NY I was going to check it out for him...
but there must be 1000 galleries there and I had no idea where to start !
It is an almost impossible task. An artists needs to be "discovered" to get
exhibited.
Most galleries here are pretty much closed unless you area already
established. OTOH there are many private and cooperative galleries, which
are owned by the artist or, a group of artists.

Fine art photography is a tough business. FWIIW, exhibits at appropriate art
fairs, such as the annual one at Virginia Beach, are a good place to start.

http://www.cacv.org/events/neptune.asp

http://www.americantowns.com/va/virginiabeach/news/boardwalk-art-show-and-festival-189065

Yes, they are a lot of work and expensive to exhibit. I see the same photo
artists at these shows for many years, so I guess they must have some value.

You might also find some helpful hints at events such as PDN in New York.

BTW I intend to be there next Thursday. Give me a shout if anyone is
interested in meeting.
Peter
philo
2009-10-16 16:15:37 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by philo
[...]
I've known a number of people that did fine on art fairs...but the type
of stuff Mike does is not going to sell there... (nudity)
besides Mike does not even own a car...he travels by bike!

Anyway, my fiancé and I go to NY as often as we can...
we actually got there three times within the last 12 months.

One of the trips was in winter...but it was her fist gallery showing
there and we would not have missed that for anything. (Luckily is was a
relatively warm and sunny day.)

We won't be getting back there until next year though...
maybe May
Charles E Hardwidge
2009-10-16 22:56:39 UTC
Post by Peter
It is an almost impossible task. An artists needs to be "discovered" to
get exhibited. Most galleries here are pretty much closed unless you area
already established. OTOH there are many private and cooperative
galleries, which are owned by the artist or, a group of artists.
I've known a number of people that did fine on art fairs...but the type of
stuff Mike does is not going to sell there... (nudity)
besides Mike does not even own a car...he travels by bike!
Games development has similar issues. Oddly, so does politics, and I've
noticed a similar thing about the acceptable versus mere whoring.

There's been two notable British female politicians recently who got this
badly wrong and snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

I still think Mike would do better if he developed a better story to his art
and put up a recognisable online gallery.
Charles E Hardwidge
philo
2009-10-17 08:26:30 UTC
Post by Charles E Hardwidge
Post by Peter
It is an almost impossible task. An artists needs to be "discovered" to
get exhibited. Most galleries here are pretty much closed unless you area
already established. OTOH there are many private and cooperative
galleries, which are owned by the artist or, a group of artists.
I've known a number of people that did fine on art fairs...but the type of
stuff Mike does is not going to sell there... (nudity)
besides Mike does not even own a car...he travels by bike!
Games development has similar issues. Oddly, so does politics, and I've
noticed a similar thing about the acceptable versus mere whoring.
There's been two notable British female politicians recently who got this
badly wrong and snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.
I still think Mike would do better if he developed a better story to his
art and put up a recognisable online gallery.
Well, last night we staged an art event >

Since we had gotten a grant to put it on...it was the best organized and
largest event I've ever been associated with.

Outstanding art by local artists...plus we snagged a "ringer"

A well know NY artist who is originally from our town.

Additionally we got in some absolutely amazing musicians...
one of whom is well known locally. Plus one last minute surprise

The event was well attended and six pieces of art sold...

One major problem is that we had gotten *no* recognition what so ever
from the local press...I was pretty disappointed .

The former art editor for our newspaper was one you could just call and
invite. A person you could actually speak to on the phone and one who
quite frequently did show up...and occasionally get written up in the paper.

The current editor will not take phone calls or answer an email...
even though in her local blog, she claims that she answers most of her
email.

Oh well, word of mouth seems to be the best way to do it.
Savageduck
2009-10-17 16:01:56 UTC
Post by philo
http://youtu.be/taRiGLy6C9Q
The event was well attended and six pieces of art sold...
One major problem is that we had gotten *no* recognition what so ever
from the local press...I was pretty disappointed .
The former art editor for our newspaper was one you could just call and
invite. A person you could actually speak to on the phone and one who
quite frequently did show up...and occasionally get written up in the paper.
The current editor will not take phone calls or answer an email...
even though in her local blog, she claims that she answers most of her email.
Oh well, word of mouth seems to be the best way to do it.
Did you send a physical, snail mail press package to your local
newspapers, radio & TV?
Emails for that type of event are mostly ignored.
Your press package should have the bulk of the details for any assigned
reviewer so they are not going in uninformed. If you are not going to
place an ad for the event in their publication or participate in a
local radio show, etc. at least give them an incentive to give you some
space in one of their columns or on their air time.
--
Regards,

Savageduck
philo
2009-10-17 22:37:23 UTC
Post by Savageduck
Post by philo
Post by Charles E Hardwidge
Post by Peter
[...]
Thank you *very* much for the excellent advice.

I was not smart enough to realize that I should have used a press
package...and we will definitely do that in the future!

As it turned out,,,we got good attendance mostly through word of mouth
and from our paid listing in the local "Gallery Night" flier and press
listings...

But putting together a full press package was just something we never
thought of.

Again *thanks* for the excellent advice!-
Peter
2009-10-18 19:28:06 UTC
Post by Charles E Hardwidge
There's been two notable British female politicians recently who got this
badly wrong and snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.
Were these the famous female barristers who dropped their briefs and became
solicitors?
--
Peter